The Silversand Horsemanship Programme is designed to teach the principles of good horsemanship to people who desire to work in a way that is more fitting to the horse’s point of view. Created by Steve Halfpenny, it takes into account the horse’s natural way of dealing with new situations and places and works on the supposition that he is always trying his best to deal with what is being presented to him. It is also the awareness that some things appear to the horse to be of a life threatening nature although this is not always apparent to us. In fact the hardest thing for us as humans to do is to be able to see things from our horse’s perspective. If we are unable to do this we will never truly get to the point where we can work together with the unity that comes from being totally tuned into each other.
Silversand foundation skills are designed to teach you how a horse thinks and learns, and has an emphasis on safety and control. In Foundation skills 1 you have learned how to teach your horse how to become a confident, soft, riding horse. With Foundation skills 2 you have improved confidence and yields. In Foundation skills 3 you build on what you have learned so far.
– Yield your horse’s hindquarters, forequarters and cause him to backup
– Ask your horse to follow you
– Ask your horse to follow a feel by asking him to trot a figure 8 from the muzzle
– Ask your horse to follow a suggestion, cause him to move through a 90 degree maze
– Cause your horse to follow a feel over a 2 foot jump
Riding skills (using 2 reins):
– Cause your horse to back up 5 metres
– Demonstrate transitions up and down at the walk, trot and canter
– Ask your horse to face up to a frightening stimulus
– Cause your horse to go sideways over a pole
– Demonstrate an emergency dismount from the canter
– Over 1 hour of instructional videos by Steve Halfpenny
– 10 Foundation skills explained in detail
– The horsemanship quiz
– Continuation of the exercises & principals in the ‘Silversand Foundation Skills 2′ app
– Worldwide Silversand clinic dates and information
– Information on the Silversand online club
This app is for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. This app is over 1GB in size and will require wifi for initial downloading for all of the videos. This app requires internet access during use.